Brookings India is looking for a Research Associate who can play a leading role in planning and executing research related to distribution of electricity including studies on Distribution Companies (DISCOMs), as a subset of broader research in the Energy and Sustainability vertical. The vertical is active in a number of domains spanning energy supply, political economy, innovation, regulation, etc.
Associate positions are mid-level positions at Brookings India, typically for researchers with a Masters degree and 5-10 years of experience. They are supported by Research Assistants and work closely with Fellows, who lead research domains.
The primary function of the Associate will be to lead and execute research planning and strategy, working in close coordination with scholars. The Associate will be expected to draw up research plans and timelines, supervise Research Assistants (RA) in data collection and analysis towards meeting research objectives. The Associate will report to the Fellow on project progress and planning, and represent the institution at high-level stakeholder and partner meetings. The Associate will strategise and lead the data collection, cleaning and analytical efforts, and conduct stakeholder workshops and roundtables to seek study review(s), and help guide the overall project direction. In course of time, the Associate will be expected to use highly disaggregated utility data to generate analytically rigorous and policy relevant outputs, such as standalone technical papers, news articles, and policy briefs.
This position requires occasional travelling (less than 25% of time estimated) to select DISCOMs across the country to understand the depth and diversity of ground level issues in operations, management, planning and political economy, as part of a large, multi-year study. The Research Associate is expected to use the knowledge generated through primary and secondary means to refine and sharpen the research questions, and expand the scope of research, wherever relevant. Owing to the highly intertwined nature of issues facing the DISCOMs, the Associate will use the information generated to assist across complementary work at Brookings and take responsibility for delivering individual work-packages across the domains mentioned above.
Education, Experience and Skills
A base list of desired skills and background includes:
- Master’s Degree in Engineering, Economics, Public Policy, Energy or allied domains.
- 5-7+ years of experience in the energy sector— electricity, markets, policy, reforms and/or institutions. Direct experience of working in DISCOMs strongly preferred.
- Sound technical background and demonstrated ability to independently conceive and execute research. Proven record of project delivery and publishing research.
- Ability to convene and engage diverse stakeholders from government and private sectors, and represent Brookings and the project at high-level fora, internal and external.
- Experience with managing if not leading research teams and well-defined work-streams.
- Proficiency in time-management, team building, planning and negotiating, and commitment to quality and rigour.
- Sound understanding of statistical and energy/power modelling— previous record of publishing desirable.
- Excellent communication and writing skills and ability to distil complex research into meaningful actionable policy prescription.
- Ability to work under uncertainty of objectives and deadlines (ability to independently take charge).
To apply, please email your resume, a cover letter, and a writing sample to email@example.com with the subject line: Research Associate, Energy and Sustainability.
The applications will be considered on a rolling basis and suitable candidates will be contacted for an interview. Candidates who apply at the earliest will be given priority.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Brookings Institution India Centre is an independent, non-partisan research organisation based in New Delhi. The Brookings India Center in New Delhi is an affiliate of the Washington, D.C.-based Brookings Institution, the Number One ranked independent research institution in the world. Established in 2013, Brookings India serves as an important platform for developing and disseminating policy research and recommendations for India.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons regardless of race, colour, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age or sexual orientation shall have equal access to positions, limited only by their ability to do the job.