** THIS POSTING IS NOW CLOSED **
Brookings India is looking for a Research Assistant (RA) who can support ongoing efforts in the Energy and Sustainability vertical in one or more the following domains:
- Renewable Energy
- Electric Vehicles
- Electricity and Energy Planning (Demand and Supply)
RA positions are entry-level positions at Brookings India, typically for researchers with a Masters degree and/or 1-3 years of experience. RAs work with Research Associates and Fellows in a combination of independent research as well as in a collaborative environment.
RA responsibilities span 3 major threads of effort:
- Specific research and analysis for selected studies
- General and supporting research for multiple threads of research
- Support effort for vertical efforts spanning events, coordination with stakeholders, publications, etc.
The primary function of the RA will be to support quantitative and qualitative analysis and research related to highly disaggregated electricity and distribution company (DISCOM) data. This will include gather, cleaning and processing of data, and using statistical methods and tools to answer a set of technical and policy questions.
The RA will work closely with associates and scholars to plan and execute research, and handle large, highly disaggregated primary and secondary data-sets to generate analytical insights. The RA will also collaborate with the other RAs in data solicitation, collection and maintenance. This position requires a basic grasp on the nature of power sector data, and analytical contribution to related work-streams as mentioned above. The RA will also be expected to present their findings in high-level fora both within and outside Brookings India, and solicit and act on feedback received. The RA will also support scholars and the organisation in administrative and research capacity in organising workshops, conferences and other engagements.
Education, Experience and Skills
A base list of desired skills and background includes:
- Master’s Degree in Engineering, Economics, Statistics, or allied domains OR Bachelor’s degree with domain relevant work experience. For exceptional candidates, the minimum work experience requirement can be relaxed.
- 1-4 years of experience in conducting statistical research and working on large datasets (especially unstructured/heterogeneous/incomplete data sets). Should be comfortable in using statistical models and packages, and able to demonstrate conceptual and theoretical proficiency. Previous experience in the energy domain will be advantageous.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision and able to communicate effectively.
- High degree of proficiency in MS Office
- Good writing skills are essential.
- Ability to coordinate, work across domains and deliver quality products on-time.
To apply, please email your resume, a cover letter, and a writing sample to email@example.com with the subject line: Research Assistant (Data and Analysis), Energy and Sustainability.
Last date for submitting your applications is March 15, 2018.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Brookings Institution India Centre is an independent, non-partisan research organisation based in New Delhi. The Brookings India Center in New Delhi is an affiliate of the Washington, D.C.-based Brookings Institution, the Number One ranked independent research institution in the world. Established in 2013, Brookings India serves as an important platform for developing and disseminating policy research and recommendations for India.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons regardless of race, colour, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age or sexual orientation shall have equal access to positions, limited only by their ability to do the job.
** THIS POSTING IS NOW CLOSED **