Brookings India is looking for a Research Assistant (RA) who can support ongoing efforts in the Energy and Sustainability vertical in one or more the following domains:
- Renewable Energy
- Electric Vehicles
- Electricity and Energy Planning (Demand and Supply)
- Carbon Pricing
RA positions are entry-level positions at Brookings India, typically for researchers with a Masters degree and/or 1-2 years of experience. RAs work with Research Associates and Fellows in a combination of independent research as well as in a collaborative environment.
RA responsibilities span three major threads of effort:
- Specific research and analysis for selected studies
- General and supporting research for multiple threads of research
- Support effort for vertical efforts spanning events, coordination with stakeholders, publications, etc.
The primary function of the RA will be to support quantitative and qualitative analysis and research related to highly disaggregated electricity and distribution company (DISCOM) data. This will include gathering, cleaning and processing of data, and using statistical methods and tools to answer a set of technical and policy questions.
The RA will work closely with associates and scholars to plan and execute research, and handle large, highly disaggregated primary and secondary data-sets to generate analytical insights. The RA will also collaborate with the other RAs in data solicitation, collection and maintenance. This position requires a basic grasp on the nature of power sector data, and analytical contribution to related work-streams as mentioned above. The RA will also be expected to present their findings in high-level fora both within and outside Brookings India, and solicit and act on feedback received. The RA will also support scholars and the organisation in administrative and research capacity in organising workshops, conferences and other engagements.
Education, Experience and Skills
A base list of desired skills and background includes:
- Master’s Degree in Engineering, Economics, Statistics, or allied domains or Bachelor’s Degree with domain relevant work experience. For exceptional candidates, the minimum work experience requirement can be relaxed.
- 1-2 years of experience in conducting statistical research and working on large datasets (especially unstructured/heterogeneous/incomplete data sets). Should be comfortable using statistical models and packages, and able to demonstrate conceptual and theoretical proficiency. Previous experience in the energy domain will be advantageous.
- Ability to work independently and communicate effectively.
- High degree of proficiency in MS Office.
- Good writing skills are essential.
- Ability to coordinate, work across domains and deliver quality products on-time.
To apply, please email your resume, a cover letter, and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Research Assistant, Energy and Sustainability.
Applications must be received by 15th May, 2019. Due to the high volume of applications we receive, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.