Brookings India is looking for a Research Assistant/Analyst who can support ongoing efforts in the Energy and Sustainability vertical in one or more the following domains:
- Electricity Grid including Renewable Energy
- Electric Vehicles
The Research Assistant position is for candidates with under 0-2 years of job experience, ideally with a Masters Degree, but with a Bachelors in exceptional cases. For Research Analysts, the candidate should have more than two years of energy related experience with Masters, ideally undertaking research and analysis.
Analysts responsibilities span three major threads of effort:
- Specific research and analysis for selected studies
- General and supporting research for multiple threads of research
- Support effort for vertical efforts spanning events, coordination with stakeholders, publications, etc.
The primary function of the RA will be to support quantitative and qualitative analysis and research related to highly disaggregated electricity and distribution company (DISCOM) data. This will include gathering, cleaning and processing of data, and using statistical methods and tools to answer a set of technical and policy questions.
The selected candidate will work closely with associates and scholars to plan and execute research, and handle large, highly disaggregated primary and secondary data-sets to generate analytical insights. He/she will also collaborate with the other analysts in data solicitation, collection and maintenance. This position requires a basic grasp on the nature of power sector data, and analytical contribution to related work-streams as mentioned above. He/she will be expected to present their findings in high-level fora both within and outside Brookings India, and solicit and act on feedback received. He/she will also support scholars and the organisation in administrative and research capacity in organising workshops, conferences and other engagements.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
A base list of desired skills and background includes:
- Master’s Degree in Engineering, Economics, Statistics, or allied domains or Bachelor’s Degree with domain relevant work experience. For exceptional candidates, the minimum work experience requirement can be relaxed.
- 0-2 years of experience for Research Assistant and more than 2 years of experience for Research Analyst in conducting statistical research and working on large datasets (especially unstructured/heterogeneous/incomplete data sets). Previous experience in the power distribution sector will be advantageous.
- Ability to work independently and communicate effectively.
- High degree of proficiency in statistical packages and MS Office.
- Good writing skills are essential.
- Ability to coordinate, work across domains and deliver quality products on-time.
To apply, please email your resume, a cover letter, and a writing sample (in single file as a .pdf) to email@example.com with the subject line: Research Assistant/Analyst, Energy and Sustainability.
Applications must be received by 15th February 2020. Due to the high volume of applications we receive, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Brookings Institution India Center is an independent, non-partisan research organisation based in New Delhi. The Brookings India Center in New Delhi is an affiliate of the Washington, D.C.-based Brookings Institution, the Number One ranked independent research institution in the world. Established in 2013, Brookings India serves as an important platform for developing and disseminating policy research and recommendations for India.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons regardless of race, colour, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age or sexual orientation shall have equal access to positions, limited only by their ability to do the job.