The Brookings Institution India Center is a public policy organisation based in New Delhi, India. Our work is centred on the motto, “Quality, Independence, Impact”. Brookings India scholars work on several domains including Development and Governance, Trade and Investment, Foreign Policy, Energy and Sustainability, Digital Economy and Regulatory Issues.
The Communications Officer is responsible for coordinating a broad range of communications efforts for the Brookings Institution India Center (BIIC) in New Delhi, India. This includes handling the Center’s website and social media platforms; managing the production of publications; contributing to the organisation of conferences and seminars; and any other duties related to your field given to you by your supervisor.
Managing in-house and outside events.
Overseeing event management and planning from concept to execution including creating specific invite lists (people from the sector, donors, media etc. ) facilitating the creation of event concept to developing a project/event plan, communicating with Events Committee, ensuring the plan is implemented on time and within budget;
Write, edit, and distribute content, including publications, press releases, website content, annual reports, speeches, and other marketing material that communicates the organization’s activities, products and/or services.
New Media (30%)
- Social media and online outreach, including live tweeting during events.
- Use of innovative methods for promotion of research, e.g. Infographics, Facebook Live, Twitter chats, etc.
- Copy-edit BIIC scholars’ outputs, including blogs, op-eds or articles and publications.
Website and Newsletter (20%)
- Update the Brookings India website based on scholar op-eds, citations, media mentions, interviews, TV appearances etc.
- Create the monthly newsletter, and any other emailers required to promote research.
- Regularly update the Brookings India database with inputs from on visiting cards, mailing lists and any other methods.
- Position for a young, energetic candidate with 3-5 years’ work experience in communications and/or writing for news media in the academic/non-profit sector. Bachelor’s Degree in communications, journalism, English literature, political science, economics or a related field is preferred.
- Experience with social media tools and generating social media content is a must.
- Knowledge of website content management a plus.
- A strong academic record is required, as well as outstanding writing ability in English and people skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint, is required. Working knowledge of new media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram. LinkedIn. Any design experience, knowledge of Web Content Management, or HTML is a bonus.
- Other necessary skills include: excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal abilities; and use of database programmes. Competitive candidates must be able to prioritise and multitask in a high-stress, heavy workload environment.
How to Apply
Please apply with your CV and a work sample to email@example.com, with the Subject Line: Communications Officer.
If your application is shortlisted, you will be contacted for a written test which is designed to test you on writing skills, strategy and ability to work under pressure in a short timeframe.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The aims of the Center are to:
- Raise awareness of key policy debates and challenges in India
- Set and shape the policy agenda amongst policy influencers and decision makers
- Design high-quality solutions to the key challenges facing India in an independent, non-partisan manner
Brookings India is an affiliate of the Washington, D.C.-based Brookings Institution, the oldest independent think tank in the world. The Brookings Institution has been consistently ranked as the Number One think tank in the world for nine consecutive years.