***THIS POSTING IS NOW CLOSED***
About Brookings India
The Brookings Institution India Center is a public policy organisation based in New Delhi, India. Our work is centred on the motto, “Quality, Independence, Impact”. Brookings India scholars work on several domains including Development and Governance, Trade and Investment, Foreign Policy, Energy and Sustainability, Digital Economy and Regulatory Issues.
Brookings India is an affiliate of the Washington, D.C.-based Brookings Institution, the oldest independent think tank in the world. The Brookings Institution has been consistently ranked as the Number One think tank in the world for nine consecutive years.
The aims of the Center are to:
- Raise awareness of key policy debates and challenges in India
- Set and shape the policy agenda amongst policy influencers and decision makers
- Design high quality solutions to the key challenges facing India in an independent, non-partisan manner
The Communications Assistant is responsible for coordinating a broad range of communications efforts for the Brookings Institution India Center (BIIC) in New Delhi, India. This includes handling the Center’s website and social media platforms; managing the production of publications; contributing to the organisation of conferences and seminars; and any other duties related to your field given to you by your supervisor.
You will work under supervision of the Head of Communications at Brookings India in New Delhi.
New Media (35%)
- Social media and online outreach, including live tweeting during events
- Use of innovative methods for promotion of research, e.g. Infographics, Facebook Live, Twitter chats, Hangouts etc.
- Edit and upload event videos etc. using simple video-editing software, e.g, MovieMaker
Website and Newsletter (35%)
- Update the Brookings India website based on scholar op-eds, citations, media mentions, interviews, TV appearances etc.
- Create the monthly newsletter, and any other emailers required to promote research.
- Regularly update the Brookings India database with inputs from on visiting cards, mailing lists and any other methods.
Publications and Print Outputs (25%)
- Design and oversee the production of all BIIC publications (research papers, annual report, brochure, etc.), including scheduling, copy-editing, translation (if any), publishing, and distribution.
- Ensure all Brookings India materials—including publications, promotional outputs, and regular office correspondence by BIIC employees—uphold design standards of both the Center and of the Brookings Institution generally, in order to ensure consistent branding. This includes maintaining and updating templates as needed.
- Copy-edit BIIC scholars’ outputs, including blogs, op-eds or articles and publications.
Administrative Duties (5%)
- Provide a wide range of logistical and administrative support to the Center, including during events.
- Oversee all incoming inquiries and correspondence regarding communications and media.
- Position for a young, energetic candidate with no more than 2-3 years of experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, English literature, political science, economics or a related field is required.
- Experience with social media tools and generating social media content is a must.
- Knowledge of website content management a plus.
- A strong academic record is required, as well as outstanding writing ability in English and people skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint, is required. Working knowledge of new media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn. Any design experience, knowledge of Web Content Management, or HTML is a bonus.
- Other necessary skills include: excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal abilities; and use of database programmes. Competitive candidates must be able to prioritise and multitask in a high-stress, heavy workload environment.
How to Apply
Please apply with your CV and a work sample to email@example.com, addressed to Nitika Mehta.
If your application is shortlisted, you will be contacted for a written test which is designed to test you on writing skills, strategy and ability to work under pressure in a short timeframe. The test lasts approximately 2 hours.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.